Saturday, December 4, 2010

Simple Church Minute 71--God's will for your life as a plural

71—God’s will for your life
My name is Tom; this is Simple Church Minute.
            One of the moments that affected me most early in my days as a believer was when I first heard the idea that God has a will for my life.  Jesus, in the Lord’s Prayer, as it is called, has a line, “Your, (that is, God’s) will be done.”  It only makes sense that in anything, if there are two or more choices, God has a preferred one in his great eternal plan.  I have been like many others seeking what God’s will is for my life.  Sometimes, I believe He has shown me a course of action in a certain circumstance, sometimes I feel that, after my having to make a decision, I can see that it was right, sometimes I have felt confused on the issue, as much as I have desired to do as He would have me do.
Recently, I heard church planter Milt Rodriguez of www.therebuilders.org speak on this subject.  He points out that in Romans 8, all except one of the uses of the word “your”, which in English can be singular of plural, are in the original language plural.  We, together, are the Bride of Christ, we are the Body of Christ, we are the church, all of which speak of us Christians together.  God’s eternal plan for his people is a group thing. We in North America are very individualistic, and we read the individualism our overall society encourages into the Bible.  If you sell something at your job, at most jobs they clearly keep track of how much everyone sold each day or week.  In Jesus, you can’t really keep a record of how many people you have helped come to faith, grow in faith, or anything else.  At best, you can sense yourself growing closer to Jesus or not.  God’s will is a group thing. 
Many people choose a church to fulfill their needs; God has a desire (not quite a need) for us to make Him our life.  Besides, we are dead to our sinful Before Christ life.
You can email me at simplechurchminute@gmail.com.  You can find out more about simple forms of church at http://www.simplechurch.com/ or (local website).

No comments:

Post a Comment