Saturday, December 4, 2010

Simple Church Minute 61--types of prayer in the Lord's Prayer

61—the types of prayer in the Lord’s Prayer                                           FAST PACE
My name is Tom; this is Simple Church Minute.
            Jesus, when he taught his disciples in Matthew chapter 6 verses 7 to 13, was not giving us a rote prayer to repeat, and we know this because in verse 7 He said, “Do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do.”  Now, if we are not to just repeat it, what do we learn from it?  Here is one idea—each phrase of it is indicative of something we do in talking with God. 
1. I know God is worthy of praise
2. I look forward to Jesus coming again
3. I need help to do God’s will, which includes that I need help to know His Word to know what it is
4. I desire to see God’s honor grow here on earth
5. I have needs
6. I need to be forgiven
7. I wish to forgive others of their sins against me
8. I need to ask God’s help with regard to my desire to do evil
9. I need to ask God’s protection from others’ evil plans.
10.  I need to ask God’s protection from Satan and his demonic angels
11.  I need to know God controls heaven, where I will live after this life
12.  I recognize that God has all the power
13. (same as 1.) I know God is worthy of praise
            In Mark chapter 11 verse 17, Jesus quotes Isaiah 56 verse 7, “My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations.”  In the Old Testament, there was a temple and priests.  In the New Covenant, in Acts chapter 17 verse 24, God does not live in a temple made with hands, but (First Corinthians 3 verse 16) our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit, not buildings, and (First Peter 2 verse 9) we (believers in Jesus) are a holy nation, and (Revelation 1 verse 6) we are kings and priests to God, with no need for anyone to intercede for us.  Lots of what we’ve been taught about prayer comes from religious counterfeits and cultural mediocrity that has crept into the church over time.
            You can email me at simplechurchminute@gmail.com. For more info on organic church*, see http://www.simplechurch.com/ or locally at (local website).
On the recording, at this time, it says, “house churches.”  While that phrasing is OK, to say “organic church” is better.  I comment on that in blip 94.

In typing this, I realize that I got this idea from Larry Krieder’s book, Personal House of Prayer, which I failed to reference among the sources in the post which included sources of information I used.


No comments:

Post a Comment