Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Preparing for the unexpected

Q:  Why did the chicken go only halfway across the street?
A:  Because she wanted to lay it on the line.

Right now, as I have been either unemployed or underemployed the last couple of years, I have been living in my son's house.  He is in the Navy, and during these past two years, he has decided to make it a career.  One aspect of that is knowing that he would be moved somewhere down the line.  I found out a few weeks ago that he would have a six month deployment in January.  Today, I found out that his move would happen upon the end of that deployment.  He also told me that move would be to one of three areas.  One of those areas, I have lived in before.  The other two I have never lived near, and have a cost of living much higher than other places I have lived.  In another month, I guess I'll find out.  There's just a pile of uncertainties that come out of this.  On the other hand, as I have no solid job here, and few things, there is one sense that it doesn't matter.  All three places have milder winters than Hampton Roads. 
It does change how I look at my days here.  How do I live to honor Jesus where I am knowing that, so far, I've accomplished little in this area other than staying alive, losing money, and, hopefully, contributed a little to a few persons' lives around here?  I have about seven to eight months left in this area.  I am certain this changes something, and I think I wish I knew even vaguely what that is.
James 1:5-8 speaks of asking God when one lacks wisdom, and one will receive when one does not doubt God.

No comments:

Post a Comment