Thursday, June 28, 2012

The opposite of bravery...


            Earlier today, I saw a group of quotations, one of which was “The opposite of bravery is not cowardice, but conformity.”  It was in an email, which I erased.  About an hour later, I went to find it but could not among the writings of those I regularly read.  I went to look up the quote, and found it attributed to Dr. Robert Anthony, whom I perceive has written self help books.  I went to look up more about him on Wikipedia, and, to my surprise, could not find anything (they have a Robert Anthony who is a pro wrestler, but that must be someone else).

            I cannot help but think of how things can look different from different angles.  My son is in the military, where such a quote must be looked at with derision, as bravery and conformity must operate hand in hand.  Also, as I write on subjects concerning organic church, it fits the mindset of the extremely few persons attracted to this idea because they have bought into the Universal Reconciliation false doctrine.  When I read this quote earlier today, I thought that I saw the name of a famous artist attached to it.  I can easily picture artists being attracted to this quote as it appears to justify whatever it is they might do.  On the opposite side, many within organic church would be attracted to this quote with the idea of conformity being represented by those whose idea of “church” are all kinds of things represented by the western status quo.  This quote, as many, is quick, snappy, and says less than it appears.  Sometimes it is true, and sometimes as far from truth as it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment